Local Offer

SEN Information Report

These pages set out information about our provision for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN). They are updated annually.

About our school

Langford Village Community Primary School provides for children with a wide range of special educational needs including those with:

  • Communication and interaction needs; this includes children who have speech language and communication difficulties including autistic spectrum conditions.
  • Cognition and Learning needs; this includes children who have learning difficulties and specific learning difficulties like dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs.
  • Sensory and/or Physical needs; this includes children who have visual or hearing needs, or a physical disability that affects their learning.

Our special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo) is: Miss Ruth Nixon (Mon – Fri)

Miss Nixon can be contacted:

  • via the office on 01869 369021
  • by email:

Our governor with responsibility for SEN is: Mrs Kay Brown (contactable through the office).

The SEN Policy can be found under the Policies Tab.

How do we identify and give extra help to children and young people with SEN?

The school uses Oxfordshire County Council’s guidance ‘Identifying and supporting Special Educational Needs in Oxfordshire schools and settings’.

The guidance sets out:

  • How we identify if a child has a special educational need.
  • How we assess children and plan for their special educational needs, and how we adapt our teaching.
  • Ways in which we can adapt our school environment to meet each child’s needs.
  • How we review progress and agree outcomes and involve you and your child in this.

Click here to read it:

What is ‘Special Educational Needs’?

A child has a special educational need if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child or young person is considered to have a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally (Code of Practice 2014)

High quality teaching that is appropriately differentiated for individual children is the first step in responding to possible special educational needs. Progress is also reviewed every term using a variety of assessments and this data is analysed with members of the senior leadership team (SLT), Phase Leaders and teachers to review individual pupil progress and shape teaching that plans for their next small steps. It is crucial that we identify these needs early.

How do we work with parents and children people?

We believe that good communication between parents/ guardians and staff is essential so that parents can share their knowledge and expertise about their child. We will always contact parents if we have a concern that a child may have a special educational need.

We work closely with children with SEN and their parents to agree outcomes and how we will all work towards these, and then to review progress. We do this in a variety of ways, depending on the need, through: termly meetings (long term), parent evening meetings, using a home/school diary or scheduled phone calls or meetings. The insight of parents and children themselves are also a necessary part of the assessment and planning process. Wherever possible, parents are involved in any strategies instigated, and we aim to support parents with their child’s difficulties if necessary.

Adapting the curriculum

We offer a broad and balanced curriculum for all children and young people including those with SEN. Details are published on the school website.

For pupils that need SEN provision, the school operates a graduated response to their needs. This acknowledges that some children will benefit from specific support from school or external agencies and as such will be categorised as requiring SEN support. They will be placed on the school’s SEN register which is monitored centrally by the local authority.

What expertise can we offer?

Teaching assistants who are:

  • Trained to support the particular needs of the children they work with.
  • Trained to deliver specific interventions.

All the teaching and support staff participate in a programme of Continuing Professional Development to ensure that they are up to date with effective approaches for removing barriers to learning for the children within their classes.

We are able to request advice and support from a range of specialist support services including:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Learning Mentor
  • Home School Link Worker
  • Play therapist
  • SENSS, who support children with communication and language, sensory needs and physical needs
  • Behaviour Support
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Oxfordshire School Inclusion Team
  • Therapy services
  • Early Intervention
  • Children’s Social Care
  • SEN ICT & Augmentative and Alternative Communication Team
  • School health nurse

Information about these services and what they offer can be found on the Oxfordshire County Council SEN web pages:

We always discuss the involvement of specialist SEN services with parents first. We also work with other services and organisations that are involved with a family, with the family’s permission.

How do we know if SEN provision is effective?

All pupils on the SEN register will have an Individual Pupil Profile that clearly states strengths and needs and the relevant strategies and interventions needed to work towards achieving personal outcomes. These pupil profiles are reviewed and updated with parents and pupils three times a year and the rates of progress made will inform what the next steps will be in their learning.

The progress of all children is tracked throughout the school through Assessment for Learning (assessed at the point of teaching) and Assessment of Learning (after a period of teaching).

When we run special intervention programmes for groups of children we assess how successful they have been and use that information to decide on how best to run them in the future.

Information about how the governing body evaluate the success of the education that is provided for pupils with SEN is contained in the governors’ annual SEN report. This will be uploaded at the end of each academic year.

How are children and young people with SEN helped to access activities outside of the classroom?

All children and young people are included in activities and trips following risk assessments where needed and in accordance with duties under the Equalities Act 2010. We talk to parents and young people when planning trips so that everyone is clear about what will happen.

There is information about activities and events for disabled children and those with SEN in Oxfordshire in the Family Information Directory:

Oxfordshire’s accessibility strategy can be read at:

Who to contact

In the first instance it is always best to discuss any concerns you have about your child with their class teacher. If issues are not resolved then please contact the school SENCo, Miss Nixon.

What is an ‘Education, Health and Care Plan’?

A very small number of children have profound and complex needs and the Local Authority has assessed this and issued a Statement of Special Educational Needs on an individual basis. Statements of Special Educational Needs are being replaced with a single ‘Education, Health and Care Plan’ (EHC) for children and young people with the most complex needs from September 2014. The creation and delivery of these plans will be led by the local authority with schools developing and reviewing these plans with parents.

Children with existing Statements will transfer to the new system within three years and this transfer will normally happen within a ‘transition review’ such as at the end Year 6, ready for secondary school. Any child with a Statement in Year 6 in September 2014 will need to transfer to an EHC plan in that year.

If you would like impartial advice from Oxfordshire’s Parent Partnership Service contact:

If you would like to know more about opportunities for children and young people with SEN and their families, support groups or information about SEN these are listed in the Family Information Directory:

Oxfordshire’s Local Offer contains lots of information for parents.

Click here to see it:

A School Life Website
School Life app download
School Life app download